1.06.2007

Matthew 5:17-20

So Jesus came to fulfill the law. Verse 20 is really interesting: "I tell you that if you are no more obedient than the teachers of the law and the pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Jesus is setting people up to make sure they know that they will never earn their way into heaven. The pharisees were insane about keeping the law. That's all they cared about. They were uber-religious about it. Then Jesus says that you have to do even more than that to get into heaven. Obviously it would be nearly impossible to better than they were doing, so they must have been missing something.
Jesus was trying to point back to himself. I've done something more than the pharisees because I've placed my faith in Jesus alone and not in my religious devotion to rules. My devotion to rules flows out of my love for Jesus, and that's a key difference.
Jesus always had a cool way of putting things. He always made you think. Made things real and impacting. I wish I could adopt some of that style into my speaking. There's so much about Jesus that is amazing. JM

No comments: