11.06.2008

Messianic Politics

Everybody is talking about how great Obama is and how he is going to change America. It's sad to me. What I think is most sad is that people think their job is done now. They voted for their candidate and now they can just sit back and relax, let him do his miracle-working, and rest confidently because their voice has been heard.
When did my vote become my voice? I hope that's not my only voice in politics. When it becomes that way then we've slipped into dangerous territory. There are so many other ways that my voice can be heard: talking to my local government officials, state government reps, and federal government reps, protesting, civil disobedience, petitioning, etc. Making sure that they know what I want them to do as my representative. The government is supposed to work for me. I need them to be doing what I want, and if all I do is cast a vote once every 2 years, then how will they ever know what I want.
I've never cared about politics before, but I'm starting to now. I want my voice to be heard, and I'm glad that I know that doesn't mean just my vote.
JM

No comments: