12.02.2007

So

Here's what I told our church this morning.

I'm going to tell you:
1. What's happening
2. How it happened
3. Why it's happening
4. How it affects you

What's happening - I am submitting my resignation effective 12.17.07. Basically that means that I'm quitting my job as the associate youth pastor at First Baptist Peachtree City and that my last day will be 12.16.07.

How it happened - On 08.02.07 I got a call asking me if I would be interested in the MS position at First Baptist Harvester. This is the church that I grew up in and left 4 years ago to come work at FBCPTC. I told Harvester that I was happy where I was, but that I would be interested in exploring the possiblity at Harvester. I talked to them a couple of times over the next few months. In November, I flew up to St. Louis for an interview. I received an offer shortly after this interview, and accepted it on 11.20.07. I told Pastor Steve and Jim of my decision on 11.19.07 and we talked about what my departure should look like.

Why it's happening - I feel like God is leading me there. That's kind of a nebulous statement, so to break it down a little bit more, I feel like it's a great ministry. The student ministry at Harvester is amazing and I really feel like I line up closely with where the other youth ministers there feel that youth ministry is heading. This is also the church that I grew up at, so I have a heart for the ministry of the church. Also, both my and my wife's families are there.
Not why it's happening - This isn't happening because I'm mad at somebody, or because I'm frustrated with anything, or because I'm disappointed with something, or because I'm being forced to do it. I am leaving on very happy terms and Peachtree City is being very understanding of this transition.

How it affects you - I won't be at FBCPTC anymore. The nature of my job is that I will go to a different church now. And this church will be 600 miles away. It's normal to feel emotions about something like this. I certainly am. You may feel sad, mad, happy, or be apathetic about it. Or you may experience these emotions at different stages.
Please feel free to talk to me, Jim, your teachers, or your parents about any questions or concerns you may have, or just to help you process through this experience. Also, please don't forget me. I invested in your life because I want to see you become all that God has for you. Please keep me updated on how you're doing. Come and visit if you can, but wait until I have a house. Please talk to me. It may seem awkward at first, but it'll be worth it. My family will be leaving the south on 12.18.07 and moving up to St. Louis. I hope to see you before we leave and hopefully we can see you after we leave sometime, too. JM

No comments: