3.29.2007

Steps To Delinquency

I just saw this article over at cnn about two 10-year olds and a 17-year old that beat up a homeless man. Certainly the rise in this type of criminal behavior has to be at least partially attributed to the glorification and proliferation of homemade fight tapes on the internet.
But as I skimmed the article I noticed this paragraph:
"Daytona Police Sgt. Billy Walden said the teen and two boys were walking in their neighborhood around 9 p.m. when they saw 58-year-old John D'Amico. They began throwing rocks at the homeless man."
As a parent, you have to know a little bit about what your children are doing. 10-year old boys should not be walking around their neighborhood at 9:00 pm, especially with a 17-year old. I know when I was around that age, I had an older teen spend time with me, and his intentions were not good either.
Parenting is hard work. It's tough to stay on your kids, and sometimes they hate it. But man, if you care at all about them, you have to be involved in their life. JM

No comments: